Fasteners are nothing but the universal components used to create non-permanent joints. In other words, they will simplify the manufacturer of structures and machines. Being reduces the need for larger parts, fasteners are normally easier to design less complex components and even fasten them together. They could also be installed with the intention to offer additional support.
Ranging from the usual household appliances we have used in our everyday life to some high tech gizmos, we have a common component present in them, thatâ€™s a fastener. Even though fasteners are not directly visualized by us, they will play an essential role in our regular life. Whatever it may be, right from holding tables and chairs we sit on to automobiles that we travel as each and every edge of what we have used is held in position through a Fastener.
People often make use of Fasteners for non-permanent joints. What do you mean by non-permanent joints? A joint, which could be dismantled or removed without the damage or destruction of joining components, could be referred as a non-permanent joint.
Specific types of Fasteners and its uses:
- These are supposed to be threaded lengths made of steel rods with heads on single end
- Bolts are generally used along with nuts at other end and every so often with a washer too
- Bolts are of four types including carriage bolt, Cap screw, hex bolts and Plow bolts.
- Nuts are flat steel pieces, usually hexagonal in shape with internally cut threads.
- Hex nuts, Square Nuts and Castle Nuts are some of the commonly used types
- Washers are mainly divided into types namely a plain washer or flat washer and split lock washer.
- Plain washers are generally steel disks having a hole in the center.
- These types are used to minimize the stress present in the bolts and buts
- They can able to spread a clamping force right from the bolt to span slots in order to oversize the holes in the wood.
- Helical spring washers or lock washers are normally made from tough spring steel and installed under the bolt or nut.
- They are utilized to protect nuts from rotation.
- Nails are none other steel rods, which are usually pointed at one end and having a head at the other end.
- Nails are primarily used to join woods together
- The size of the nail is generally referred in terms of â€śPennyâ€ť
- â€śdâ€ť will indicate the penny size as nails are sold by pound at most of the hardware stores.
- Common nails, box nails, finish nails; duplex nails and roofing nails are some common types of nails used.
- Just like bolts, screws too are threaded lengths of rods made of steel with a head on one end
- The heads of the screw may be slotted, square, cross slotted or hexagonal
- Types of screws include: Slotted Flathead, Slotted Roundhead, Slotted Oval Head, Phillips Drive and Square Drive